This is useful if you are not going to be using your HiWAAY account for an extended period of time. It will automatically reply to any incoming e-mail alerting them of your absence. You can type whatever you prefer in your ‘vacation’ message. The instructions are as follows:
1. SSH or telnet to fly.hiwaay.net, and log in. If you get a menu listing of items to choose from, choose Option 6 “Exit to command shell”.
2. Type cd and then press enter to get to your root directory.
3. At the UNIX prompt ($), type the following:
*note the period before the word .vacation.msg
4. This will open up the pico text editor. Type your vacation message in the body of the file. For Example:
I am out on vacation and will not be able to respond to your message till I get back. If you wish to contact me, call 555-5555.
*This needs to be customized for your vacation message for, ie. email@example.com would be your email address.
5. When you are done, press Control key and X at the same time, then press Y, to save the file and enter to exit. You are done creating the .vacation.msg file.
6. Next, you’ll need to turn vacation messaging on, at the $ prompt, type the following:
vacation -I (No space after the dash)
(Note: This is a case sensitive command!)
7. Next, open your browser and navigate to https://mail.hiwaay.net/login.cgi?go=email and log in with the account name you wish to have the vacation message on.
8. Select “Deliver to firstname.lastname@example.org mailbox” at the top, where “email@example.com is your email address.
9. Next, go to the bottom of the page and select “Filter email with custom script”. Then enter “/usr/bin/vacation user” as the script, where “user” is your user name, not the full e-mail address.
10. Then check the “Deliver to firstname.lastname@example.org mailbox also” box (otherwise a response will be sent but incoming messages will be silently deleted). When you are done click on “Set Delivery Options” to save the settings that you created.
11. That is all there is to it. You may test your work by sending an e-mail to yourself from an alternate e-mail account or by having someone send you an e-mail.
When you are ready to remove the vacation message, return to the website (https://mail.hiwaay.net/login.cgi?go=email, login with your username and password, and then set the advanced filtering options to None.
This will store the vacation message so that you can use it at a later day.
If you wish to permanently delete the vacation message, telnet or ssh into fly.hiwaay.net.
Login with your username and password, type cd and then click the enter button, and then type rm .vacation.msg
You can forward E-mail addressed to your HiWAAY account to any number of other email addresses. Just go to HiWAAY’s Account Service Center
and log in with your HiWAAY account name and password.
After logging in you’ll get a menu with several options. Click “Set email delivery options”.
In the “Email Delivery Options” menu select “Forward this address” and in the text box below type the email address to which you want your email delivered.
Click the “Set delivery options” button and you’re done!
Some subscribers would like to have a separate login id for family members who wish to have a private mailbox. Dial-up subscribers may have up to 10 additional mailboxes for their immediate family at no extra charge.
Please note that only the primary account (the one you use to connect to HiWAAY) may establish a dialup session, but once the session has been established the mailbox accounts may use their login ids with our mail server to exchange mail. Each mailbox account also includes full unlimited Telnet access for reading mail, news or chatting through our shell server.
You can setup an extra email account at any time by logging into the Account Service Center and login with your HiWAAY login name and password. Select “Manage your mailboxes” and follow the online instructions.
If you have a @hiwaay.net email account and are unable to send email, you need to make a simple change to your email software.
You need to set your email program to use authentication for the outgoing email server. This is usually nothing more than ticking a checkbox and entering the same user name and password you use for downloading your email.
However, every email program is different, so if you need some help, please give Support a call at 888-244-9229.